Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Uncle Henry



Some where in the spirit realm my Uncle Henry is sporting this jovial, humor. Making other spirits laugh, no doubt. Uncle Henry recently died from complications due to his diabetes. I heard that even to the day before he died he was still crackin' jokes, "Uncle Henny" style.

Aunt Maria emailed me a lot of pictures and this one was included (thanks Maria!). I've never seen it before but it is the one picture that captures the essence of Uncle Henry. Though he was closing in on 50 when he died, this spirited-funny child was always a part of him, even through his really dark, troubling period in his life.

He was the mastermind of one liners, snarky to unbeknownst passersby (his observations bordered on politically incorrect--but were usually dead on), and he ALWAYS cheated in chess (I don't care how many times he denied it, he cheated at Uno too). But I think I'd have another chess match with him any day of the week--and I'd still leave to get him an extra serving of potato salad, so he could move my pawns and take my Queen, because ultimately I loved that Big Guy.

1 comment:

Adriane said...

Oohhh!! Send me those pics pleazzze!

Yeah and Uncle Henry cheated at Tetrus (sp?) too. One time I played with him and he changed his difficulty level to "easy" and mine to "the hardest possible." That was a very traumatic game for my 7 year self :)