Monday, January 28, 2008

Remembering President Hinckley


My testimony of modern day prophets.


I want to express my testimony of modern day prophets as it is close to my heart right now, as President Gordon B. Hinckley has just passed away.
As a teenager I never realized how hard it might of been for those of other faiths to understand the importance of living prophets. As I have gotten older and definitely because of the divine counsel and influence of President Hinckley my testimony of this sacred calling on Earth has become ingrained in my soul.

I know that God has given us many "gifts" to help us learn of the Gospel of Christ and to return to him. Through the scriptures we can receive much individual counsel and strength. Through prayer we receive our personal relationship with God the Father and his son Jesus Christ. But remarkably we have today living prophets who receive divine instructions from God. Those who are called and chosen by God to warn us before we see warning signs, to guides us before we become lost, to encourage us before we know we need to be encouraged. Over and over the Prophets have given us counsel before a storm. The Family: A Proclamation to the World
is one revelation that continues to change and influence my life and reaffirms my faith in living prophets. How could we have foreseen the many challenges families face back in 1995 (I know I really didn't) and now that I have my own family the Proclamation has been an often used guide and teaching tool for my kids.
I once read that the Prophet Joseph Smith received a revelation to send missionaries to the "islands of the sea" and as a result a few missionaries went to the Pacific Islands, not knowing anything about the native language or what they would find. It was from this revelation that my ancestors not just joined the church but were waiting for the missionaries to arrive in the 1800's. I often reflect and ponder the impact of that revelation on my life. I know that God has not left us alone with out constant direction and influence so that we may all return to his flock and return to him. I am so thankful to these men like President Hinckley who sacrifice their time and energy to God and to all of God's children, I feel privileged to live in this time and to have such a wonderful connection to my Heavenly Father through his servants our prophets.
I just read a tender post about President Hinckley on my cousin Brooke's blog read it here.

3 comments:

Brooke said...

It has been so fun to go through blog after blog and read testimonies and tributes to our sweet beloved prophet. Thank you for sharing your testimony, it adds a little to my own!

Messimoo said...

Thanks for sharing! I, too, love reading what people have to say and their testimonies!

Elizabeth said...

SO glad you shared your testimony. It is a great opportunity to strengthen them.