Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Late SPT

What's in a name? How did you come up with a name for your blog?
It was kind of shallow and yet deep at the same time, the way I decided on "A Dapple A Day"for my blog's name.

First the shallow part.
Gweneth Paltrow had just named her daughter Apple and I remember thinking too much about what it would be like to be in a grocery store, or on the beach, or somewhere and call out "Apple come here" or "Apple don't touch that!" or "Apple don't swim past the buoy!" So somehow in my mind I couldn't shake the "apple" sound from my mind.

Now for the "semi" deep part. As I was seriously focusing and trying so hard to come up with a simple phrase that meant--"something I use to write about my life each day" the word dapple kept popping up (hmmm..sure it's connected to the apple thingy). So I looked it up in the dictionary just to make sure I wasn't making the word up and as it meant "A small contrasting spot or blotch" I decided that was close enough and it is forever my blog's name now.

The more interesting story is how I got the name for my web address for the site. As I had used all my mental capacity for my blogname, I asked my husband for a web address name. In a split second he said "use mcsmash." Now if any one knew me in high school they may know that I love to put "Mc" infront of everything. Like "We're going to McChurch" or I like my McFriend's house" or "I hate going to McSchool", so "mcsmash" seemed fitting. Anyway later when I asked Derek how he came up with mcsmash he said "Easy that's my World of Warcraft character's name".
Nice--seeing how much I Loooove World of Warcraft (being sarcastic!). I still like "mcsmash" though.




8 comments:

everything pink! said...

i love your story.

Lindsay said...

My husband has recently found and become obsessed with WoW so I found that highly entertaining.

I also just read your sewing/life blog post that Kristi linked. Well done! I really enjoyed reading that.

Unknown said...

that's hysterical about thw WoW. i have always wondered about the mcsmash...

it was so nice to see you pop up over on everything pink. kudos to you for introducing yourself!

Elizabeth said...

I am so glad you did this one. I always wanted to know. The mcsmash thing is funny.

Kim Sue said...

from fellow SPT blogger...cute name - it brings happy thoughts to mind. I look forward to reading more of your posts.

Messimoo said...

I love the name! I have always liked it!

Brooke said...

Ha! LOVE IT! So maybe you guys can help me come up with something creative. . .

Jennifer said...

And people give me grief over Niamh's name! Hmph. At least it is a llegitimate name. Fairly common if you are in Ireland. :P

you love WoW too??? I know it is MY favourite. mm... favourtie thing to hate. what is it with men and their video games? _I_ certainly don't have teim to spend hours on something so extraneous. Nor would I WANT to! it makes me kinda crazy. Sorry. I'll stop now before I get too wound up. :P

I always just chocked up the name and url to Bucky-isms. They made some strange 'bucky' sense to me, even without explanation.