Monday, January 22, 2007

Is Rochester the New Darcy?

Nah.. Mr. Rochester's too stressed out with his crazy past getting in the way of his budding romance with the governess. Still I wonder, is the new Rochester better than the old Rochester?


New Version

Vs.

Old Version

Let me explain, I LOVED Jane Eyre as a pre-teen/teenager (The one with Timothy Dalton as Rochester that is). We recorded it from TV and I would watch it over and over again. In fact Timothy Dalton was my first celebrity crush (besides Fred from Scooby Doo, I had grown up a bit you see). Anyways....last night I turned on PBS desiring to watch Masterpiece Theatre and what do I find? A NEW Jane Eyre. There are a million Jane Eyre movies out there, but I have always been a fan of the Timothy Dalton one, so I was a little weary at first.

The new Jane Eyre is definitely more modern by way of cinematography, the mood, the shadowy figures. Less stuffy Victorian and also less stagey, than the eighties version I remember.

I'm not one to change my liking (don't get me on the subject of Pride and Prejudice with Kiera Knightly--blah!), however I really liked this one. I mean, new Rochester isn't as good looking as old Rochester, but then again I'm not a teenager and good looks aren't really the reason why I watch Masterpiece Theatre.

Since I am on the subject of looks, you be the judge...Old Rochester or New Rochester? If one of these guys were angry on a daily basis, which mad face would you prefer?


Old Rochester?

or....


New Rochester?

Call me crazy, I'd still take Old Rochester (what a handsome mad face), however New Rochester is WONDERFUL (don't let the "I smell poo" face scare you)!

Also which Jane do you prefer?




Old Jane?
or....

New Jane?


Hmmm....I never really watched them for the Janes only the Rochesters, interesting. I'd don't know, but I really recommend watching the second installment next Sunday...it's very well made and such a timeless story.

9 comments:

heidi said...

definitely "OR"(old rochester), but only as a young timothy dalton. he couldn't reprise the role today, yucky, greasy old man face...he tried to play rhett butler in the mini-series scarlett. no thank you. i would have waited for the resurrection so that clark gable to fill that role again.

katherine said...

Ha! Completely agree. Maybe that's why I couldn't bare watch him in any movie past The Rocketeer.

Elizabeth said...

I would say Old Rochester new Jane. Now you are making me Jealous I don't have TV. I will have to wait for the DVD. The Library finally got Bleak House so I can finish watching what I started when we lived with Kalani's Grandpa a year ago.

Jessica said...

there are like a million jane eyre movie versions out there. i remember baby-sitting for someone while in high school and finding an old black and white one on some old movie channel and actually really enjoying it despite the lack of color. i wish i remembered what version it was because i think it had the best kiss/reunion scene of jane and mr. rochester of any version i've seen!

Messimoo said...

Ok, I am SOOOOOO sad I missed this. I was watching "13 Going on 30" on FX but I would have watched Jane Eyre had I known it was on! Boo hoo! You're the second person to tell me about it.

Man, I can't decide, I think I have to see them in action first!

julie said...

hey katherine! how are you? i saw your link on jessica's blog, so i thought i'd say hello. how are you guys? we sure miss you being upstairs....

julie said...

sorry, this is julie black (didn't remember it wasn't my whole name.)

julie said...

sorry, this is julie black (didn't remember it wasn't my whole name.)

katherine said...

Hey Julie--thanks for posting! We miss that little house too. Apartment living isn't my favorite arrangment, we are glad to move away from a big complex. How are you guys doing?

Also, I wish we could all get together and watch Jane Eyre together, it's such a lady's show.