Friday, January 26, 2007

Little Sweetie's 8!

My oh my, where has the time gone? Any mother with a toddler or first child listen up, time goes by sooo fast, give your kid an extra hug and kiss today! I can't believe my Little S is eight today. She seems so grown up, with all her ideas and new elementary school lingo. She has been my little spit-fire since the day she was born. I love her so much for the very tenacity that exhausted me when she was 2, 3, and 4. If it wasn't for her, Derek and I would have a pretty boring life. So here is my top ten list of all the things I LOVE about my sweetie.


10. She can make friends anywhere she goes, the grocery store, the park, school, church, walking down the street. Talking to people never really frightens her.
9. She is very determined. Oh the angst I had when she was younger and refuse to comply with time outs, seat belts, sleeping in her own bed (oh the screaming, the wailing!). Yet even that has passed and that determination has turned into a great motivator. She's on swim team and when we go swimming for fun she likes to do laps, just to practice and be better. Also when she sets her mind to something she plans it out and informs me on all the specifics (she planned out our day trip to see Raven Symone at the Tulsa Fair).
8. She is such a great missionary. In first grade at parent/teacher conferences her teacher informed me that S usually has discussions on theology during their craft time. She was asking kids if they went to a "cross" church or a "non cross" church. And also informed them that they weren't christian because the didn't go to the temple (this made me laugh so much, we had to discuss that Christian was another way to say you believed in Christ--she still likes talking "church" with other kids).
7. She is a fantastic swimmer, she amazes me. Her favorite stroke is butterfly and I am sad to say that she has better form than me (although I was never much good at butterfly stroke).
6. She loves friends and family. Since we're moving I was going through boxes of "stuff" and I found so many notes, cards, letters S has written to her family. She also isn't afraid to defend her friends. Some one made a negative comment about Muslims and S turned her head and said don't say that, it hurts my feelings. And when asked why she said because one of her good friends at school was Muslim and she didn't like hearing mean stuff about her friend (I was so proud of her!).


5. I love her eyes, for Derek and I's family it's an anomally to have anything but brown eyes. Her's are greenish blue (and turn more blue if she wears blue and more green if she wears earthy tones).
4. She is very thoughtful. S has always done thoughtful things, she has brought me breakfast in bed more than anyone else in my life.
3. She loves to cook. Once she even surprised me with scrambled eggs (they tasted fantastic, but I had to point out that she really isn't allowed to use the stove with out Daddy or I). Here's S with the Bouche de Noel she begged and begged to make after watching Madeline.

2. Which brings me to the fact that I love S for not being afraid to try new things (as long as it's not medication or dentists or natural disaster type situations).
1. I love her for being herself. I couldn't have asked for a better daughter. I love her so much and this love just increases with each year.

8 comments:

Elizabeth said...

What a great depiction of Sweet S. The photo and the list. She really is an amazing girl. I would love for her to be L's freind at school. You probably never worry about your L becasue you know S is near by. I feel lucky to have watched her grow up some and ashamed that we forgot her birthday. I had great intentions of remembering to send something. Let me know your new address when you get to MD. Better late then never.

Jessica said...

what a sweet list. we love S! its good to know that the "tenacity" that i see in my own firstborn really will be a positive thing in later years. i hope she had a wonderful day. be sure and wish her happy birthday from us.

katherine said...

Elizabeth I will definitely update the addresss with you once we leave. My kids especially my L always talks about your L and that X's boyfriend is K (L is really into boyfriends, they're friends that are boys..).
Also Jessica Ethan reminds me so much of S especially when he tells YOU what is right and wrong. That used to drive me crazy with S but now I'm glad she at least knows and honors what is right and wrong!
Thanks for wishing her a happy b-day.

Messimoo said...

Happy Belated to S! Ok, so I must be behind on things. Where are you moving? Yeah, I keep in touch just wonderfully, don't I? When are you moving? Back to Utah, right? :)

Messimoo said...

ok, and had I read all the other comments, I would have notices you are moving to MD, duh!

Santa's Mom said...

Hey! This is Mako. I can't believe she is 8. The list you wrote was very cute. say Happy Birthday to her. Send me your new address when you move.

julie said...

oh, that makes me miss S so much! it is hard to believe how fast she and all your kids are growing, and makes me stop and think that Nathaniel will be 8 in just 3 months! i wonder if the two of them will end up getting married like they always planned...

julie said...

...it also reminds me of how, years ago, she carved "mom" into the side of our car. fun times...