Sunday, August 06, 2006

Times-a-changing


Well I have done a facelift or two on my blog. I've just been messing around trying to make it more my own. I thought I had made a cool design--maybe some of you saw my pastel and snail motif--it was yucky you can admit it. However I spent a little more time and brain energy and while it still looks a little unprofessional it is waaaay better than before.
anywho...
What can I say the summer (for us at least) is almost over. Our over scheduled days are numbered and now we are preparing for the school year. I can't believe S and L are going to be in school all day. We have had some good times this summer. My mom came out last week to visit us in Washington DC. This was a BIG deal, because I don't think my Mom really goes on vacations. She and my little brother and all of us went to Virginia Beach, Williamsburg and Jamestown. On a whim we rented that movie The New World, we heard the scenery in it was beautiful. It made us want to go to Jamestown and check it out. When we drove to Jamestown there is still nothing there (by way of buildings) so it is great to imagine what it would've been like when they landed here in America. It is an interesting drive because there are little roadside markers that tell of various events that occured in different places leading up to Jamestown. If you are a history buff (like me) then it is the coolest thing.

Before my Mom left we toured the memorials in DC. We left at 8pm to try to avoid the sweltering heat of the day. On the way down my father-in-law, who is actually a really great tour guide--the man is like a Washington DC encyclopedia!, was telling my mom we'd stop by the white house then the memorials. My mom didn't want him to drive out of the way so she kept saying no, no, I don't need to see the White House the memorials are what are meaningful for me. However my father-in-law had a little trick up his sleeve. If you've never been to DC, you head down 14th st and you're surrounded by huge tall buildings then out of the blue right in front you where the street ends is a tiny white speck--which is of course the white house--you have to be paying attention or you'll miss it. Anyways--he got a tricky look on his face pointed directly in front of us and my mom let out a HUGE gasp, she was like oh my gosh it's the white house, it's the white house!! As if it was the Beatles or something! We were cracking up! She actually shed a few tears before we jumped out of the car and walked down to the white house. Our pictures didn't turn out so well cause it was dark out, but it was wonderful seeing all the sites with mom.

S in front of the first lighthouse commissioned by the United States.


Me striking a pose in front of a different lighthouse built in the 1800's.


During our trip to Virginia Beach we went to Busch Gardens, here's the crew as we wait to ride the Haunted Mansion--They just might kill me for publishing this photo--I'll take my chances!


Ouch!


The crazy gang. . .Whatsa matta fa you!



Here's Mom and I at the Jefferson Memorial--can you see the admiration in my mom's face (remember she's the one who screamed "It's the White House, the White House!"

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

What a great post. I can't believe our little girls who went to that preschool we started back when they were two are now in Kindergarten! Hopefully they will meet again!

katherine said...

I know, can you believe how FAST time flys! Well I read your post about crying 1st day of school, I know I will be doing the same, I'm sad already!