Yesterday was a whoppin' 100 degrees--maybe some of you can relate. Yet, did I feel the heat? Nope-I spent the day lazing about in the pool. It made me appreciate being a mom. Don't get me wrong, I have my moments where I decidedly do not want to be a mom. For example, last night, when the missionaries came over and my two oldest chose to stick cut cucumbers on their faces and then on their mouth, of which they blew into it like a bubble wand and the cucumber seeds shot across the table (thankfully missing the missionaries)--no in that moment I wanted to sink to the ground and join the dining room rug. However yesterday afternoon, when the children were playing nicely and I was lounging in the pool lounger I was thinking this is the life--and I am grateful to be home dealing with tantrums
and food fights
and messes
and stinky diapers, because if I wasn't doing that I'd be missing out on relaxing pool fun during 100 degree heat. It also reminded me of the song that embodies summer laziness to me (although after reading all the lyrics I realized that maybe it was the tune that felt like summer and not so much the lyrics, but these words do the job anyway).
The song is Pinch Me from barenaked ladies:
It's the perfect time of day To throw all your cares awayPut the sprinkler on the lawnAnd run through with my gym shorts on.Take a drink right from the hoseAnd change into some drier clothesClimb the stairs up to my roomSleep away the afternoon.ahhh... summer, is it wrong of me never to want to see icicles hanging off of my car door handle again?
Here's some family picts that typify summer for me.

The mandatory family portrait at a nice touristy spot, drenched in sweat from the blazing sun. I say, you can always see the truth in the face of the baby in the stroller. We're pretty much wishing we were poolside ready to jump in.

Nothing says summer like mom (grandma) up in the tree with a saw!
Noodle fights in the Inflate-A-Pool--woohoo!

Spraying kids on the trampoline with the garden hose then letting them jump until the sun goes down!
1 comment:
So many great pics. Still missing you all!
Post a Comment