Monday, July 10, 2006

4th of July--What a Week!

It's official I was never meant to grow up landlocked in the Midwest! Our family spent all last week at the beach and my girls had the best time, I loved it as well. My kids are natural beach bums, all they wanted to do was spend all day at the there, building sand piles by the surf, body boarding, and once the waves got good jumping through the waves. S was the kid who I had to pry out of the water everyday, L (who is always shy and quiet) made the most friends just sitting there playing in the sand (the little kids were drawn to her because she kept finding shells and putting them in cups of water and telling the kids the shells would turn alive again--they actually believed her --it was pretty funny). Then there's X. She swims underwater andlooks as graceful as a sea creature, I could honestly watch her swim all day, it is that entertaining. Even strangers stopped and watched her swim, always with the same question "how old is she?" To which I would reply two, which shocked them because she wasn't afraid of the water and she was actually jumping over the little waves to swim over them. The best thing for me was seeing dolphins and kyaking in the ocean--always hoping they'd come and swim by us. Mom and Emma were the lucky ones. When they went out the waves were so choppy and hard to kyak in, they were just about to come in when one dolphin jumped right past them. Then Emma said a whole family swam past them and she could feel the water shoot out of the blow whole of one of the dolphins. Then three jumped right next to them. Everyone on the beach pointed and screamed with excitment at the site of it and Emma and Mom were right there. Emma was so scared, because they were so close, she was worried they might knock them off the kyak. They were sooo lucky!



Here is S pointing to something in the sand. It may have been a little crab.

L digging away making stuff.

X playing around in the water--happy as can be!


X swimming underwater at the pool.


Us riding a 6 person bike on the boardwalk.



Do Blondes have more fun? Only if they DON'T look like that, I think! I'll stick to brunette hair for now.

8 comments:

Jessica said...

how fun! what beach did y'all go to? that is so amazing that xela is not scared of the water. i thought about putting ethan in swim lessons this summer and then realized it would probably do no good because he'll never put his face in the water. oh well, there's always next summer, right?

katherine said...

hey jessica! We were at virginia beach--it was soooo nice. Although I don't have much to compare it to. We liked a lot! we put sophie and leah in swim lessons and they liked it just because they have fun teenagers teaching the class and they play fun little games. He may like them, you never know:)

Elizabeth said...

It looks like so much fun. I wish we still lived by eachother. Actually I wish you lived here. We could just go to the beach evryday and watch the kids play together.

katherine said...

Believe me Elizabeth that crossed my mind many times while we were playing on the beach! I kept thinking is the way they spend their days? Because if so, this is the life!

The Good Life said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
The Good Life said...

Bucky, what kind of weirdo bike is that?!

Messimoo said...

I'm a bit envious of the water and sand, the heat, right now I am fine with out.

Sounds like you guys had a fun weekend. Can't remember if I told you this or not but it was great seeing you. Wish we could have done a girls night out!

katherine said...

Hey Yetar--it's not weirdo--it's fun. They should get some at scout camp. He,he,he.
How's AZ?