S has been such a great big sister. She was explaining to me that she is going to walk L to her class every morning and make sure to sit with her on the bus. She was even telling L not to worry about bullies cause if anyone messed with L they would have to answer to S.
**Doesn't L look happy she just completed a full day of school? Personally I like the dress, I know it is a little costumey but she wanted to wear it and besides it's only kindygarten!**I remember having my older brother in school one grade above me and feeling so secure like he would take care of me. I just told Carl this summer thanks for being such a great older brother. Watching my oldest makes me respect his role as the oldest sibling in my family. They really do lead the younger ones and help them feel secure and watched over when mom and dad are not around. Thanks Carly for being a great big bro!
***Here's the big sis--doesn't she look rather responsible, maybe school's not that great cause it's about 150 degrees outside, or so it feels.***5. S says very gruffly "Don't worry L if there is someone who is a bully just tell them you have a big sister who will find them and make them get in trouble!"
4. L says, "Mom can I wear lipstick to school?"--(inside my head, "Heck no! she can wear makeup maybe in college, Man, I am going to have to insist she not play with my bright red old lady lipstick anymore!)
3. S after school says, "I am soo sick of school!" I say, "Already?" She says, "yeah all my teacher wanted us to do is do math all day--I am really starting to hate school!"--I think my kids had too much fun being bums this summer!
2. 7 am--S says, "Hurry up! I don't want to be late for school!" I say, "School starts at 8:50 you will not be late don't worry." S replies, "Nooooo---you don't know mom, believe me I went there last year, school is going to start hurry up!"
And last but not least the #1 best thing said on the first day of school is.....
1. L is laying on her bed ready to sleep and looks up at me and whispers, "Mom how many times do I have to go to school?" I reply, "Five times a week sweetie." L sighs, "Ahh Man."
--I repeat my kids had too much fun being beach bums, jumping on trampolines, being spoiled by grandmas and grandpas and being full fledged cartoon addicts this summer. You would think I'd worry about their attitudes right? Nope, the way I see it you're only little once, right?
Case in point, my childhood---
When I was little, in the eighties of yore; before regular use of video games, you know, pre-computer and pre- internet, even cable tv was a novelty, Cartoon network you say?--non-exsistent!--I lived on a street fittingly named Pleasant Street and I had a real rip roaring time during the summer. Carly, Christel, and I would start the summer off probably riding lots of bikes and red wagons and having races down the long hilly street. I'd say our starting line was by the McGrath's house and we would race to the end of the street, which meant we would have to brake real fast to: One, not get hit by a car that could pass on the street perpendicular to ours or Two, brake real fast so we wouldn't go tumbling down the driveway at the bottom of the hill which was all rock and had a steep slope. Yeah baby--Fast and the Furious Missouri style!
Does anyone remember when David switched bikes with me and I rode his cool BMXy looking bike while he took my Yellow Banana Bike? Does anyone remember how when we decided to race the chain came off the bike HE lent to ME (infact my last memory before waking up was me frantically trying to brake Flintstone style and barefoot no less). As I was told by onlookers I flew off my bike and landed in the previously mentioned driveway of doom; battered and unconscious, waking up in my bedroom with mom's face looking at me like I had died or something. Ha! The days before knee and elbow guards, helmets, and bike saftey. We were a tougher stock back then weren't we? Hmmm...all of a sudden I feel a sudden urge to watch Karate Kid--Wax On! Wax Off!

My favorite part of the movie--When Daniel-son finally "gets it". You think a kid nowadays would wax all those cars or stain all that fence, or paint a whole house? Heck No! Well maybe it was pretty unbelievable back then too. How good of you Daniel-son!
Mr. Miagi's the BEST around!
What was that move anyway? Cause it never worked on Carly!


7 comments:
You absolutely positively crack me up! I love the first day sayings and the walk down your memory lane! Amazing we all survived our childhood!
If you need me, I'll be catching flies! Hie-yah!
Bucky, Very funny post. I miss you. I wish we were able to have our kids grow up together. Sometimes I feel I will never have another friend like you and L like your girls. Thanks for the great times!
this was hilariious! i can't believe how grown up your girls look. it is amazing we all survived childhood. i remember all of us kids piling up in the backseat of our car and "double-buckling" -- you know 2 kids to a seat belt. i don't think the car seat guidelines were quite in effect like they are today. thanks for the funny stories!
Hey guys, glad to hear from you all! We miss everyone too. L still says, why did we have to move? Don't get me wrong Oklahoma is actually a great place to live, friendly, cheap, etc. But she misses the easy life of Provo (easy access to friends, parks, nature).
PS can someone email me the password to the book club website I have a book picked out for August--and I can't remember the password. Thanks
Hey Carlito-
Hope everything goes well Tuesday! It was nice hearing from you--love you all!
Hey yo Bucky!!! I am a blogger now too... so I can finally post! Love your stories, and seeing your girls, unbeleivable how they are so grown up!!! thanks for blogging! I agree that I haven't come across another friend like you in all my travels, and how fun it would be for our kids to be together too... A. would love your girls.
Also on the car-safety issue- they have pictures of me curled up asleep on the FLOOR of the front seat... hmm... that would get my child confiscated from me today!!! Good grief! I just had a good nap, there was no fear or drama. Oh well. Those were the days I guess.
Jenny-Schmenny! Yea! So good to hear from you and that you had a good nap. I am getting a few good naps in the afternoon myself. My husband says I need about nine years worth of extra sleep to make up for all of the sleepless child rearing nights. Ha! I think he is right. Good to hear you are doing fine!
Post a Comment