Saturday, January 05, 2008

For Reals! *sorry that is old school, loser, byu slang for AWESOME

For some reason being overcome with morning sickness tends to make me on the laptop more. And since we now have wireless I get to peer through cyberspace to my hearts content (or until one of the kiddies finds out I'm still in bed and comes in to bother me non-stop). So I've been reading my dear old friend Vi's blog lately. I met Vi when I was in a Multi-Cultural Program at BYU called Discovery. It was honestly one of the funnest months of my life (you have to consider my life WAS pretty boring up until that point, but whatever!).

Our "crew" was mostly the girls we roomed with. Vi, Sarai, Colomba, Salote, Eileen, Lanna, and myself . Of course, there were more to "the crew" but I'm at a loss, so those are all whom I can remember. So I was reading Vi's blog and I was reminded that not too long ago she asked me how Colomba was doing. Unfortunately I'm not the best at keeping in touch with people and though we do email a little bit, it's been a while. I do know that she went to Culinary Arts school in San Francisco, a mission in Argentina, and worked at a resort in Mexico and married a really sweet guy and now lives in the states with her little family of three. But that's it.

My curiosity was getting the better of me and well this is 2008 and information is just a click away, so I googled her name and HELLO! I found out that she has this totally cute "Latin Fusion" restaurant called Cafe Carambola in Coeur d'Alene.

Colomba's on the left I think that is her sister on the right. Amazing. Technology is cool.

I read all the reviews and they were soo positive that it put a huge smile on my face. And I know this is the pregnancy talking, but I was getting choked up because how many times did that girl feed my sorry bad-cooking self?! And now she's sharing her wonderful gift with paying customers--you go girl! Here's a little review that I thought summed her style up perfectly.


Scott MacPhee, on Dec 21st 2007, said...
"Cafe Carambola sits in Harbor View Plaza, tucked between a barber and Lewis and Clark State College. It’s a lunch place, only open from 11:00 to 3:00 on weekdays, owned and operated by a married couple and the wife’s family. The chef makes the best food in town. The menu isn’t overwhelming. They serve sandwiches, salads, soups, and quesadillas. The also frequently have fresh drink options and delicious cakes.
My wife and I think this is one of the best restaurants in Coeur d’Alene. The salads are all outstanding, but we like the “keen-kwaw” (I don’t know the spelling!) salad and the marinated tomato salad the best. The soups are all made fresh daily, and are the best soups I’ve ever tasted. The sandwiches are exotic and delicious. On Fridays Cafe Carambola serves tamales, which are handmade and steamed to perfection. I’ve never had a bad meal there, and I’ve enjoyed the food so much that I’ve taken a couple of cooking classes there.
Patrick writes that the prices are a little steep. Well, you get what you pay for. Considering the quality of the food and the friendly service, I think the food is more than reasonably priced. Eat there, and you’ll see why the lunch crowd patiently waits for a table. It’s just that good."



Take a looksy at the salad someone bought from her Cafe which they posted on their blog doesn't it look delicious!

All I know is that one of these days I'm gonna make my way up to Coeur d'Alene and try out all the tasties! Mmmm.... looks delicious!

6 comments:

donna said...

Wow what a need post!!!


That salad looks great :) I hope you have a wonderful Sunday !

moranews said...

Wow, Katherine, I am 1) shocked you remembered all those names of the Discovery crew and 2) flattered you mentioned me! I'll call you if I ever make it out to the temple. We went right before Christmas again, but it was so spontaneous because it was warm and the kids wanted to see the lights again. Hope the morning sickness takes it easy on you...

moranews said...

By the way...that is awesome about Colomba! I got one message from her and she sounded really happy. I'm so glad she's doing well!

Elizabeth said...

That is so great. What an awesome story!

katherine said...

It actually wasn't that hard to remember all those names, there are a few faces, I can't put names to, it's lost in the abyss of my mind.

Rebekah said...

I did Discovery!