Sunday, December 17, 2006

Wow--Christmas is just around the corner!

I can't believe December is moving even faster than November did. We have been very busy. I'm sure that is why time has flown by. First off Derek finished his finals and projects just in time to come home and go to the airport and then to...dun, dun, dunnn....DISNEY WORLD!!
We were all so excited. We had such a great time and it felt so good to forget about school, jobs and housework and be together and have a load of fun!
It was so special for my kids. I remember being a kid always dreaming to go to Disney World but never going. It was a great experience to see all the joy in their faces as they saw their favorite Disney characters, ride roller coasters for the first time (even X was tall enough to ride a few roller coasters--that girl is tall!), and experience all of the hustle and bustle.

We arrived home and went to Derek's graduation the next day. That was so exciting! It was special to realize that he has really accomplished so much in such a short period of time. I am so proud of him and all of his hard work.


Last but definitely not least, today is Grandma Jo's birthday. She is so special to us and the kids have reached a new level of gratitude since she was the one who treated us to Disney World.

I wanted to write the top ten things we love about her--in celebration of her birthday.

Here's Mom and Hanner at Minnie Mouse's house.

1. We love the way she is so giving (especially now, as the girls will always remember how Grandma Jo was the one who took us all to Disney World).

2. S especially loves how when she stays at Grandma's she gets to be treated to yummy hot waffles with the choice of blueberry or chocolate chip batter.

3. The first thing L said was that she loved how pretty Grandma is. How true that is, she sparkles from the inside out. It's not only her great genes that make her beautiful but her pure, gracious spirit.

4. Derek's first gratitude towards Mom was to quote from the Book of Mormon, "He never doubted that she always knew it". Meaning that he never doubted that his Mother always knew what was good and true and she taught that to him.

5. There have been so many instances in my life when I asked myself what would Mom do? She is so kind and patient, when I try to gain more patience I ask that question over and over.

6. She is a beautiful synchronized swimmer. She truly has a talent (and an amazing work ethic) for this sport. She has won at Nationals and performs so wonderfully. I hope one of our girls follows her in her footsteps.

7. I have never heard her speak bad about anyone, she seems to find the good in all people.

8. She is fearless. Not only has she been on a sky diving team as a teenager, but she raised 8 wonderful children (8 kids! That can muster up fear in the best of us!), has moved across the country numerous times, and always knows a way out of any sticky situation.

9. She loves the temple and it shows in her demeanor, house decor, and her temple attendence.

10. Derek would like me to put down that he loves his mom for buying him a Nintendo, but I am grateful for her that she once threw that Nintendo away! You go MOM!

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

very cool to have such a great mom-in-law!
what a trip! I bet they loved it... can I say too, that you still look great, 3 kids later! I'm so impressed!
one question... who is Hanner?
I feel I'm missing something embarrassingly obvious... I hope not!

Elizabeth said...

What a great trip. Congrats to Derek. I bet the girls had so much fun.

katherine said...

Thanks for all your congrats! We had an excellent trip--still livin off of the fun high we had. BTW Hanner's just Hanna my sister in law. Sometimes she gets mad at me cause I call her Hanner Bananer. Jenny I'd still like a copy of the magazine--tell me how. Sorry I missed all your calls!

Jessica said...

how fun! ethan and grace would be so jealous. they are REALLY into mickey mouse clubhouse right now, and i've kind of promised them we'll go to disneyland next summer. we'll see if that one pans out. i'd like it to, because i've never been myself, but we'll see! congrats again to derek!