Sunday, August 31, 2014

The Cotswold Way



We hiked a small portion of the Cotswold Way
Through out the years Derek and I have been on a "moving journey".  It wasn't a planned out career choice, just life dictating economical housing, graduate schools and lastly career.  Once we hit the career milestone, I was for sure that our traveling roots would finally grow in soil that would keep us firmly planted in one place.  How I have whined and cried over feeling as if we'd never have that. Little did I understand God's plan for me, or the reliance I needed to place on him.

Speaking of reliance....Georgie and Sophie have had terrible congestion and though over the counter medication works fine temporarily we'll have to try out the British surgeries tomorrow to get expert help.  Unfortunately I'm getting sick too.  So it looks like a grand total of 3 Smiths will need see a doctor tomorrow.  I wish it stopped there but I have been so grumpy that I gave my kids a long scolding for not doing their kitchen chores after dinner and I'm pretty sure a sweet sister from my ward heard the whole terrible thing.  I sound like the Trunchbull when I'm mad, so welcome to the Smith Abode folks. 
Georgie pre-wheezy cough, chillin on the play equiptment.

Other than the sickness, house-hunting, and child management we really have been cherishing these moments.  Derek and I found a great deal on a Volvo XC 90, so we bought it.  It seems to drive well and there is enough space for all of us so we're happy.  With the car comes broadening our scope of exploration.  We went on a beautiful trail yesterday which is part of the Cotswold Way.  It was the first completely blissful outing since we've arrived.  I'm pretty sure we're nature lovers.  We like shops fine, but give us pastures and rolling hills and we're home.

Breath taking views from our hike.


As a professional daydreamer living in la-la land, it has been hard for me to accept that life isn't always rose colored and that true joy doesn't have a sugar coating.  With each move I have come to understand that joy is hard earned and life's rosy glow is really a dull, rainy day watching Bondi Doctor.  With that being said, the Lord has been good to Derek and I.  He must've been listening when I begged him to help me travel the world and explore new places and cultures.  I just didn't realize it would mean the "over-weight, middle-aged me--with 5 kids in tow", looking for the British equivalent to Children's Dimetapp and deciding whether or not to live in the city or outside of it. Somehow, the Cotswolds and the regency era has got lost in translation.  It takes quiet moments, long walks and a lot of exhaling to remember to take advantage of this blessing and to cherish it.  I have come to understand in these moments what a tender mercy it is to live here, with all of my family.  It is like a little present delivered to my door, wrapped up in a bow.  Now I need to be a grateful receiver of this gift.

Silly panoramas are becoming a Smith Family tradition.

I hope we can keep journaling our experiences here in the UK.  Seeing how my last post was a year ago I'm not holding my breath, but I have high hopes :)






8 comments:

plainjane said...

Fun fun fun and truly beautiful I feel all the way in Missouri. Thanks for the blog anxiously awaiting more...you are fulfilling dreams for all the rest of us now...so on with the travel posts! Love you all!

plainjane said...

Fun fun fun and truly beautiful. I feel the wonder all the way in Missouri. Thanks for the blog, anxiously awaiting more...you are fulfilling dreams for all the rest of us now...so on with the travel posts! Love you all!

katherine said...

Thanks Mom! So many times I have thought, "Mom would love this". Anxiously awaiting your trip out :) Get ready to do lots of walking!

Jessica said...

wait a second -- when did you guys move to UK??? and the cotswolds are just plain gorgeous. when we visited scott's sister several years ago, we went to bourton-on-the-water, and it was one of my favorite memories from the trip. what an awesome experience to live abroad! i'm excited for you. :)

Brooke said...

Couple things.
-Hope you guys feel better soon!
-Gorgeous Land. Beautifully written.
-Please keep the blogging going. How else am I going to live vicariously through you!
- Keep the Silly panoramas tradition going strong. Love it!

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy that you're blogging again! Derek's sister told us you were moving to England when we went to her baby's laughing party this summer. I'm so excited for you!! :D

katherine said...

I am hoping to keep up the blogging, hopefully the kids will pitch in as I am seriously getting lazy in my old-ish age--ha! It is very beautiful here and we'll have to check out bourton-on-the-water. It's pretty close and looks gorgeous! I keep telling everyone, we're not planning any trips to N. America while we're here, so all friends and family are welcomed to visit us!

MOMJ said...

This is great! I love reading and seeing the pictures of everyone. We pray you get the home that will work best for the family.
Your moms blog is most creative and really, really funny! Everyone should read her Valentine story... Kept me giggling all day:)