Sunday, January 30, 2011

"If it would not look too much like showing off, I would tell the reader where New Zealand is." ....... Mark Twain 1897

***photo by ConsumedbyCake***
When I was a teenager, people would hear my Mom speak and ask all confused-like, "Where are you from?" Sometimes Mom would play sly and ask them to guess. The responses varied. Mexico? Ireland? Australia? It was tough back then, even when you said New Zealand, often the response was, "Where is that?" I laugh now, because since the Lord of the Rings movies it is now recognized as such a beautiful country.
I found these cookies online while trying to find pictures of tikis (a tiki looks like the green creature on the bottom right). Aren't they awesome. As a daughter of a Native New Zealander, I get the meaning behind most of these cookies, but I'm confused about the dude in the apron, the ketchup and the bumble bee on wheels (??). Maybe Mom can clue me in on these mysteries :)
I think I might try my had at personalized cookies. I'm thinking Missourah cookies--you know the Red necks with mullets, river-boat casinos, and Peach Nehi variety.
Awesome.

3 comments:

SARAH said...

Will and I have a Tiki wall hanging that measures about 20 inches long and 10 inches wide. It is cool and ugly at the same time. :) Take some pictures of the cookies when you make them!

Adriane said...

Yeah those were the three that confused me too. If you're making MO cookies, don't forget the "fork in his hair" variety too...you know to represent 'da hood side of the state as well.

WendyJ said...

I could listen to your mom talk all day. That accent was so soothing. MO cookies, hmmmm just make sure to SHOW ME the ingredient list.