On a whim Derek and I made some quick decisions for New Years.
Decision points:
1. Living by two major cities we knew we would NEVER leave the house with the kids if we stuck around here. Even if the papers boast of Family friendly events, we're not into crowds or traffic.
2. I REALLY wanted to do something for new years. More than watch movies and eat popcorn.
3. Gettysburg is so close, I've always wanted to go check it out and their city website declared Gettysburg is the place to be on New Years because it had: pyrotechnics, live bands, free hot cocoa and cookies, and fireworks. All pluses in my book.4. I figured if all the events were really lame at least we had a hotel pool, cable and free breakfast the next morning. And NO clean up.
So Derek's parents and sisters and a cousin came with us and off to Gettysburg we went and we enjoyed ourselves immensely.
First the hotel was fun. They even had hot dogs and sauerkraut at dinnertime, as it is an old German tradition they keep in Gettysburg. Supposedly it aides in health and prosperity for the New Years.
The pool and hot tub were enjoyed by all and after pool time we got ready for the New Years festivities at Lincoln Square.
First, no crowds at least by our Shmaltimore/DC standards--even though the manager at the hotel warned us there would be a huge crowd--ha! The pyrotechnics were sorta lame, just because it was hard to see, however there was music and dancing-fun had by all. One of the churches down the street had magicians--which we unfortunately missed, and music concerts all night long. We arrived in time to hear some of the Celtic music (which I loved) and stayed to have some free cocoa, cookies, chips, popcorn and to chat with the elderly church ladies helping out.
After warming ourselves up inside we headed to the fireworks--which were amazing and fun! Yeah for 2011.
Believin' on Lincoln Square.
The veterans cemetery was beautiful and amazing. It really hits home how many lives were lost during the battle of Gettysburg when you see it for yourself.
Xela sitting by an original Civil War cannon, next to some of the graves.
I really want to take the family back up there in the spring, so we can walk the trails and check out the museums.
Tommy's highlight, riding the mall train.
1 comment:
Happy New Year!
Sounds like you guys had a blast. I'm glad. I bet it IS nice getting out of the city for the celebration. The older I'm getting, the more I HATE big crowds and bad traffic.
For New Year's we used a gift certificate Dad gave us for Red Lobster (my first visit) and I got to devour a whole lobster by myself, yummmmm! We were going to watch True Grit at the theater afterwards, but it was like 8 degrees in Prescott and ice everywhere, so we bought the Maginificent Seven at K MART (which was SOOO weird to be there late at night on NYE...weird customers) and veged out in the living room. Still it was good.
Miss you guys!
Post a Comment