
My love of fairy tales traces back to the day when I'd sleep over at my Aunt Christel's house and under her 80's ruffled canopy bed she'd read me Fairy tales. The Hans Christian Anderson and Brothers Grimm variety. I lay there imagining the three dogs with eyes the size of saucers, bowls, and plates from the story of the Tinderbox. I'd grip the sheets and curl my toes when we'd read the Snow Queen.
What feeds my fairy tale tooth is being a day dreamer since birth (3 report cards in my posession say "Katherine is a daydreamer"). I enjoy being transported to a different time, a fanciful place, and meeting quirky, whimsical characters.
So when I went into the Library with the intent of grabbing only 1 book for myself, I really shouldn't have been surprised to pick up "Swedish Fairy Tales--illustrated by John Bauer".
Tucked into the bottom shelf was this gem. It seemed a little obscure and in need of someone to find it. I read all the stories to my little girls and in their faces I saw my own: holding onto their covers, listening intently as the story of trolls and princesses danced in their heads. It was wonderful.
2 comments:
Yes. You are a dreamer. Love it! My girls love The Tinderbox. I thought it would scare them, but they always go for that one at the library. I'll have to check out the Magpie's Tale.
I grew up the same! Miss you my friend!
Post a Comment