Tuesday, April 10, 2007

I'm Trying the SPT


Challenge:
In your Easter Bonnet with all the frills upon it

WHERE IS MY BONNET?


I can't think of anytime in my childhood/adolescence/adult life where I was decked out with a bonnet or frills. I remember my Mom coaxing me to wear makeup when I was a teenager. And I can also remember thinking that if I brushed my hair super good for Prom that I would look quite polished.

Yeah I'd say I'm not so much the prim and proper type (shout out to my favorite British Matriarch Hyacinth Bucket (Bouquet!):


as I am the girly girl with stains and dirt in my finger nails (gross I know!):

Strangely this little task makes me realize that for me the Easter holiday was less about looking prim and proper as it was a time to get together with family, eat, and laugh. And as a kid I did most of my laughing as I was rolling down a hill or getting really messy--a girl can't wear a bonnet with that type of action going on can they? I look at my little girls and realize that a tradition I am passing on to them is to enjoy life, don't worry about getting messy or looking perfect. Have some fun--if you fall down get back up and try with all your might to not let the scrapes get you down.

8 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Yeah, I am so glad you did a spt. I love this post. Oh that Hyacinth Bucket. You know you are welcome here any day anytime!

Unknown said...

great intro into spt! i'm glad you've come to play, and hope that you will be inspired to blog a bit more (?) i look forward to getting to know you, dirty fingernails and all!

Jessica said...

i love the picture you posted of yourself! i love that you're not afraid of a little dirt and grime. life IS more fun when you don't have to worry about staying prim and proper. maybe thats why grace has such enthusiasm for living!

Shannon said...

You are wonderful! I wish I lived on your block growing up. I remember my older sister getting after me for laughing too much on the school bus with my friend. Merry making? Glad you are teaching your daughters to laugh. They will have loads of self confidence.

heidi said...

one easter in my early teen years i wore a black lace easter dress and a black hat very similar to hyacinth's chapeau. it was my dead great grandmother's hat. sometimes i think i was born in a costume drama that no one else knew about.

donna said...

Great post:)

Messimoo said...

I love it! There's nothing wrong with being prim and proper---and loving to get dirty as well, is there? You are so fun!

Elizabeth said...

Okay K, i want to see what you would buy for $100!