Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Saying Good-bye

Tulsa and this crazy little apartment has really turned into a home, a blessing. Derek and I came here without many expectations. We felt as if it would be a forgettable experience, as our time has been so short and school was the only reason for coming. However, sometimes the Lord sends you down a path that is not easy, but necessary. What felt confining at first (not a lot of space, no yard, too many neighbors) has been a place memories are made of. I've never felt a stronger strengthening of family bonds as I have here. I've never felt more in love with my husband

more honored to be my children's mother

and more grateful to have made such good friends. Times haven't been easy--making ends meet on a student budget, crazy apartment tenants (that try to break down your door at 2 am after a night of drinking), transporting kids from one place to another, swim meets, dance recitals, church callings, finals, children growing up, and consequently feeling older, etc. have all been part of this experience. Over the past week I been having flash backs from this, that or the other. None more poignant than a surprise farewell party for me at the Olive Garden (thanks Jennifer and Jessie!) and seeing so many of my Tulsa friends waiting to eat dinner with me. I almost cried, and I gave everyone a big hug. I'll miss all these friends. The laughter, the chats, the visiting teaching, the walks around La Fortune Park, Young Women activities. I have come away from this time in my life with the realization that life isn't perfect, but I wouldn't want it to be everything I wanted. I need these uncomfortable feelings to realize that what I want for myself is sometimes not reaching high enough or is maybe reaching too high, it's humbling. There have been prices to pay for deciding to put everything in motion with graduate school, but I think we have come out the real winners.


Here's my top ten list of why I love Tulsa (and the people who live here)

10. Sounds crazy but I love Tulsa for having someone yell at me for the first time in my life to "Go Back to Mexico", I guess they were mad at me but it made me laugh all night long.

9. I love Tulsa for all of the cashiers that have asked me how my day is going and truly happy or sad for me depending on my mood.

8. I love being called M'am where ever I go.

7. I love the fact that most every one attends church and have incredible faith.

6. I love all my kids' teachers, they've been the best. Where else would you find a swim coach who incorporates God into swim instruction and gives out a dollar bill for best diving (which L won by the way). I have gotten notes and presents from the kids teachers, each so sweet with only wonderful things to say about the kids (so proud of them). Also S's teacher took time out of his busy schedule to take the kids and their parents on a Saturday trip to find Stalactite (?)Crystals and the Sod Museum. Here they are at the last standing "sod house"--it's make out of dirt!
5. I'll miss Jessie for being so witty and for sending me this.



4. Jennifer for the season of walking and laughing--it's just what I needed at that time! I have two things to say Tom Hanks and spandex!

3. For all the Young Women I was able to associate with for my church calling--you guys are THE BEST!


2. Nicole--the greatest babysitter EVER! And Kristi for the yummiest pasta ever--thanks!

1. Last but not least being able to spend sooo much time with my family (this could be on my top ten list things for worst part about Tulsa as well, but I do think the good out weighed the bad).

5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

What a great list! I am glad that so much good came out of a hard move. I hope you are getting settled. Can't wait to hear about all your up to there.
I know why there were so many smiling faces waiting for you at the Olive Garden. Because you are such a great friend!

Messimoo said...

I love your positive outlook on everything. You amaze me! By the way, I agree with Liz. You're that and so much fun to be around. I just can't help but smile when I think of you!

Jessica said...

what a sweet list. it sounds like you had a lot of fun there. i laughed out loud at the email about the aliens. where are you moving? and are you going right now? or at the end of the girls' school year?

Heidi said...

I love your list. It's funny how although we don't always want what the Lord has in store for us, in retrospect we see that it really was what we needed. I'm glad you've enjoyed your time in Tulsa so much. The picture of your family is so cute, you all look so happy. Where are you moving now? Best of luck to you guys!

Heidi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.