However, in life some times there aren't happy endings, or else the happy endings come much later than expected. Anyone catch where I might be going with this one??
Well after the nice hug and morning prayers I walked the kids to the bus stop. I found it highly unusual that S was hiding behind me grasping to me around the arms. When the bus pulled up she flat out refused to ride the bus. So I waved Goodbye to L and went home with S clenching onto my arm. When we got home she seemed sad and she said she felt sick. I told myself something was up, she didn't want to go to school. I had to take X to her little gymnastics class so I said Adieu to S and Daddio thinking that I'd sort it out later and left to go to class.
When I got home S was wailing. Wailing is really an understatement, apparently she really WAS sick and her ears were in excruciating pain. One thing I learned about S today, she REALLY hates medicine. Especially tylenol. I tried to conceal it in ice cream, no go. I tried to mix it in water, still tasted it too much. I even tried to teach her how to take the tylenol gelcap. Well after 3 hours of pleading, frustration on my part, and for her agony and pain, I decided (this may sound harsh, but she was in so much pain!) to force it in her mouth. I held her arms made her open her mouth and tried to pour the liquid in her mouth, then tried to squirt some water in her mouth too to help her swallow it.
Mistake! She was NOT amused, apparently she thought I was trying to hurt her cause she screamed at the top of her lungs- "Why are you trying to KILL me!"
Well her daddy came out to help with the situation and I went to sit on my bed. I felt horrible. I kept thinking what a terrible Mom I am. She must of thought I was some maniac trying to make her take poison. On the other hand, she rarely gets sick, so that may explain her uneasiness towards taking medication.
Wait...
cause it DOES get worse. I think some friends from church were coming by to surprise me and take me out to lunch when the whole episode was going on. Cause I get a phone call and my friend asks, "so how is your birthday going?" Okay maybe it was innocent. But I kept imagining them standing outside my door questioning each other whether they should knock or just go back to the car and call me to make sure everything was ok.
Well I totally dished about the whole thing to my friend and she was adamant that she would pick up the right kind of medicine for S. I went back to my room contemplating whether I should have just let her scream about the pain or tried to trick her a few more ways...
Well true to her word my friend brings a present and the medication. It is fast dissolving children chewable tylenol--bubble gum flavor. So I tried it. Boy, it was still a no-go. S put it in her mouth for two seconds and spit it out. However there were only a few bits to spit out so I tried to coax her to just stick a couple more in her mouth (her dosage was three tablets). So after a couple more hours she finally had dissolved her other two and she laid down. Probably exhausted from all the screaming.
Ok while all this was going on I called the clinic we usually go to and they say I should go up there tomorrow at 7:30am to get in for someone to see her. I'm crossing my fingers she doesn't feel as sick tomorrow and that this ear infection can go away quickly.
Well after all the screaming I looked at the clock and realized I didn't feel like going out. I'd rather have a fresh day to get excited about going out, so I cancelled the babysitter. Watched Wife-swap while my husband took X out to play and put S and L to bed.
Oh yeah and my birthday cake I had left out so we'd have it when everyone to got home ended up looking like this--
That was X's handy work. I guess she was tired of waiting. I guess it's a little worse looking because L had taken a piece by this point.
So I will be celebrating my birthday this friday--sitter is ready and we will be having birthday cake again--when everyone can enjoy it!
However I should list some of the GOOD things that happened for my birthday this year:
First, good things started coming in early--Grandma Jo and Grandma Kathy sent gifts--thanks loved them! Elizabeth I got your card--it really made my day--I got it on Saturday! I love the thoughtfulness of Mark Twain! On Sunday some other friends from church gave me some goodies and a much wanted Karate Kid II movie.
Dad called and wished me a happy day as did Carly and Mom and the boys. And of course Elida and Diane who came by bearing gifts and the life saving fast dissolving chewable tylenol--THANKS!! And my husband who started the day off with a hug and helped out with so much today and gave me a card that put tears in my eyes. I guess there are a lot of things to be grateful for! Oh yeah, and for my kids--they are great kids even if they refuse to take medicine and put paw prints in my birthday cake.
After writing all the wonderful things that actually happend I feel a lot happier!
On a side note, my favorite quote of the day is from my brother Carl. After I went into detail about S and the medicine incident--his reply was classic.
"Well here's to one more year of parenting."
Right you are Bro, right you are!
5 comments:
Happy Belated, but since you're not celebrating until Friday, I'm ok, right?
You're an awesome Mom. I would have tackled any of my kids a lot sooner then you did, try in like 5 minutes.
I hope she feels better soon and that you have a wonderful celebration day!
Happy birthday!! I would send you a present and card, but I don't have your address. Hint, hint. Ha ha. Anyway, I hope your celebration on Friday is fun. You really need to e-mail me your address, though. I don't have your e-mail address either, or else I would just pester you that way. =0) Anyway, I hope today has gone better for you. Love you!!
Lanna (lanna@gowestland.com)
happy birthday! poor S. unfortunately my problem is the opposite because both my kids LOVE medicine. its probably because it tastes like candy. ethan was sick this weekend and every few minutes he was asking for more medicine and so was grace. thank goodness for child safety lids, right? haha.
hope you have a fun celebration this friday!
Thanks for all the birthday wishes and words of encouragement.
I've gotten a trickier when it comes to giving the medicine to S. Today I put her amoxocilyn in cereal and orange juice. She saw the pinkish residue in the orange juice and got so mad at me, I just sat back and said, ok,ok--She never said a word about her cereal--hahah! Tomorrow the whole dose goes into the fruit loops. Great hearing from you all!
I am sorry your day was like that. I also have the opposite problem. L pretends she is sick trying to get a hit of tylenol. Wish I was there to make you a cake or come play with your kids or take you to a movie or have a Pride and Prejudice marathon. I miss you!
Post a Comment