
Yeah that's the face I usually make when I think about Kansas City. The Beatles singing about KC who knew???
Just came back from good ol' Kansas City. I am sure I've gained 5 pounds over the weekend. One nice thing about KC that I never gave it credit for when I was a kid was how fantastic food is there. No wonder it's one of the "over-weight" states. There's good eats every where you turn.
Just as a good daughter of KC should I hit some of my favorite spots over the weekend. First stop wasn't so much a restaurant as it was good grocery shopping. We stopped at the Kansas City Farmer's Market by the river and the deals and the assortment were delightful. I say delightful because I didn't buy so much (cause I was visiting my Mom and I knew all the home grown yummy tomatoes would probably get squashed on our way back to Ok.) so mostly I just walked around and appreciated the atmosphere.
Here's the typical scene on Saturday at the farmer's market. This is only a small portion. There are lots of earthy looking people and Mennonites who come down to sell their home grown organic produce. And the prices are amazing! The things they sell are so non-mainstream. There were yellow flesh watermelons, white japanese egg plants, and many types of tomatoes--talk about yummy!
Here's a Mennonite lady selling some of those delicious tomatoes. It's really weird at first, because when you go up and start talking with them you are struck by their thick accent. And you think, "they are Americans since way back when, living in Missouri just like me, but they have a thick--"German" accent." I like that--diversity, it's good.
I just got done watching Sound of Music a few nights ago, so when I saw the young man with the suspenders and "Alps" hat I had to take a picture! This kid had a thick accent too. Weird--you expect them to sound like Joe Schmoe down the street and they surprise you with the accent--as you can tell I can't get over it. Take a look at those cantalopes--Do Mennonites bio-engineer produce cause those are gi-normous!
Well after the farmer's market I was patting myself on the back for being "healthy" as I had bought home grown grapes, and egg plant (to make Babba-ganouch--my Mom's is the BEST!), and pita bread from the Jerusalem Cafe (for the Babba-ganouch of course) and some small pear tomatoes for the kids. Then as Mom and I were driving through the city we saw this guy with a box of Lamar's donuts walking down the street. Our sweet-o-meter was going through the roof (Lamar's are the best donuts ever!). So we asked the guy where the Lamar's shop was and off Mom and I went to indulge in some goodness. Take a looksy.

The second donut is regular size, it's a crueller, the chocolate iced, custard filled bismark on the bottom was mine of course! It was more the size of a cake than a donut really.
Next that evening Derek and I went on a date to . . . . drum roll please. . . . . .our favorite. . . . . .
Ahh... the awesomeness of BBQ. It's a great debate in KC as to which place is someone's favorite. I have many but for all around goodness, a nice place to eat, and reasonable prices Rosedale's is my pick! Here's what we got. Rack of ribs $13.95, order of fries (like we needed that--but they are seriously the best fries I've ever had) $1.70, and rootbeer $1.50 each. A nice meal for under $20, yee-haw! On Mondays and Wednesdays the rack of ribs are only $11.00!!!

Note the sliced white bread. They usually stick it under the ribs, maybe they're changing their style. But words to remember, you know it's good BBQ if they serve the ribs on ordinary cheap-o white bread--tis the truth!
I took a lot of pictures of food this weekend, but since we were in the neighborhood )--this picture is for Jenny!

Did I get it right?? It's been so long I wasn't sure if it was your's or not.
Oh yeah and I know it's getting picturey but I saw this van driving on our way home, I HAD to take a picture of it.
It says "power to the peaceful" on the bumper. And if you haven't figured it out, that is an actual wooden entry way on the back of the peaceful-purple van. Bizarro!





9 comments:
Hi, Bucky!! Amber just gave me your blog page address, and I love it!!! You are so funny!! I miss you and I'm so glad you and all your girls are doing so well. E-mail me sometime. Love you!!!
Lanna
lanna@gowestland.com
Hey Lanna! So nice to hear from you. I will most definitely e-mail you! Glad you like the old blog--Hope you are doing well!
Hmmm, Babba-ganouch YUM! What great pics.
Hehehe... oh Bucky, you are so cool. No, that was not my house, (Sorry!) I know you are saying DARN!!! But I SO appreciate the effort! Who else would have done that? Nobody. I am still thankful.
I ALSO want to thank you for commenting on my blog! NOBODY does!!! Did you notice? It's a little conspicuous I think! I guess I could write it directly to you, cause nobody else seems to be involved. Oh well!! My next post I will probably sink so low as to solicit comments.. then if nobody does, I will know it really is "just you and me, Kid!"
Hugs!
Hey Jenny,
It's kinda funny you say that it's not your house cause I was knocking on the door for FOREVER--just to make sure. Oh well. Don't worry about the comments cause I love your blog! I really appreciate the things you say, you have such great insight! I'm gonna keep writing until you tell me to get lost--hehehe. When I started writing I really wanted someone to write a response so I directly called my in-laws and parents just so they could check it out. If you look in the archive they're the first to respond, ha!
Elizabeth if you want the recipe for the Babba Ganouch (sp?) I'll post it for you. My kids LOVE it, which surprises me cause it's such a different taste for them. I mean it's far from the peanut butter and jelly sandwiches they usually eat.
I would love the recipe. Post it on our club blog.
Bucky- I am NEVER going to tell you to get lost! You just keep a'commenting until blogger moderators block you and request you back off!!! You will never comment too much for me!!
Post a Comment